Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Social Media & Crafts


Personally, I like to craft in my spear time, my sister was in a sorority and they did many different crafts while in the sorority, from making paddles to decorating an entire room for an event. When I think of crafting the first thing I do is turn on my computer and start looking on YouTube or Pinterest for ideas and examples. With respect to digital citizenship, I do believe that there are rules and guidelines when it comes to posting information about crafts on social media. One important "Don't" that should be taken into account is that its not okay for someone to copy anothers artists design, or work. What I mean by this is that when I am looking on YouTube or Pinterest, I am not looking to copy the exact work that I am viewing, I am using the sites as inspiration for myself. Another "Don't" with posting about crafts is not not spam, it is annoying and will turn people away. This ties back into my post about cooking, there are going to be followers or comments that are against some of the things being posted, the correct response is to accept that someone does not approve of your work, and move on. Not everyone is going to like everything you do but just because one person does not like one thing does not mean that the rest of your crafts are bad or wont get any likes.

When presenting these guidelines to users on social media, I would make a video about them, I would do this because, personally, I use videos to get my ideas for crafting so it only seems right to continue that. The video would involve someone creating a craft or going through the steps of crafting and then going through the steps of presenting their craft to the digital world. There would be Do's and Don'ts about blogging and this would help media users become aware of what they should and should not do.

A new source that I would turn to would be Instagram, posting short videos that explain the Do's and Don'ts of digital citizenship with respect to crafting.

Over the semester we did many different assignments that let us demonstrate our understanding of the information we retained for a specific week. During one of the weeks we had a group project where we looked at three different social media sites and the people that post on those sites. Doing that project helped me to understnad digital citizenship now, meaning, we looked at the sites that celebrities used and we decided if the information they posted was relevant to current events and if it was appropriate for their viewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment